July 15, 2013

Brunette to Blonde Pt. 2: How Going Blonde is Teaching Me Patience

Short story: I'm naturally a dark brunette and want to go platinum blonde. I went to the salon for highlights and ended up hating them then freaked out and bought my own bleach, but ended up sort of kind of liking my hair after a week, but it's not something I would have done again. Bleach to come, but not yet.

This is what my hair looks like 5 days after getting my highlights. I didn't use a flash, just light from my window. I'm trying to be as honest with these posts as possible. When watching how-to videos, it was always nice to be aware when something didn't work out.



Read on for the whole story.



If there is anyone less patient, please let me know. I have the most in-demand, I need it/want it now attitude out of anyone I know. So when I decided that I wanted to be blonde, and platinum blonde, I wanted it at the snap of my fingers. Alas, I was born with dark brown hair, so going from my natural color to a Monroe blonde in one day wasn't going to happen. It takes time. I learned that...eventually.

So, I went to the salon. I told my stylist I wanted all-over blonde highlights and showed her photos of some bloggers from Sweden.

"I'm going for something drastic! I just broke up with my boyfriend and I'm going blonde." But like I should have expected, she looked at me with a sympathetic look and told me the bad news: a color like that, from the color I was, takes time. Likes WEEKS time. MONTHS time.

Hoping for the best, I just told her to go for it. I just wanted a change, I was ready, just give me super blonde highlights and we'll see how it turns out. I'd never gotten highlights before so when she was done, I thought I looked alright. I got in my car and sent a few snap chats to friends with the caption, "someone's blonde!" before I drove out of the parking lot.

When I got home, I started messing with my hair and pulled it back and realized that the  roots were still totally brown. She had pulled the hair taught over the foil so I assumed that wasn't happening. There was actually A LOT of brown. I felt like I had just jumped out of 2001 because my hair was a lot brown and a lot blonde. There was so much contrast that I was definitely having a major identity crisis with all the streaks. I called my hairdresser and asked what was up and if there was any way she could add more blonde. Unfortunately she told me that it would turn orange if she'd done an all-over color (just like she'd explained to me earlier, but I was too busy being in denial).

My mother assured me my hair looked fine and my dad's face said, "I'm trying so hard to be neutral right now but I don't know how you want me to feel so I don't know what to do!!" Eventually I called my cousin, who used to have bleached, blonde hair, and she told me to chill out and this was a normal part of the process.

It's been about a week now since my appointment, and I must say I think my hair looks a lot better. I'm not sure if I've just gotten used to it or my hair is coming out of its "freshly done" stage, but I imagine it's probably both. Even though I went to the salon, I think it's kind of reminiscent of a hairstyle that I could have done myself. So I go with the mindset that I "did it on purpose" and that's seemed to help.

During my time of initial despair, I watched like 50 youtube videos about bleaching my own hair and then went to Sally Beauty Supply and purchased what I hope are the proper products. I will do a post on bleaching my hair myself when I decide I'm not comfortable with the color I am anymore. I did spend a lot of money on these highlights after all, so I might as well keep them if I don't hate them. I'm glad I at least took my time in making the to-bleach or not-to-bleach decision, or else I might not have realized that my hair isn't all THAT bad, it's just not what I wanted.











2 comments:

  1. I'm blond myself but I wanted to dye my hair platinum blonde too, since my hair is naturally blonde I thought bleaching it once would be enough. At the end I had to bleach it 3 times..... I think it's just the best to get it done profesionally because at the end it had cost me just as much money as it would have cost to get my hair bleached at a salon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh man that doesn't make this sound good for me! hopefully i won't have to do it quite that many times, but considering what you've told me that doesn't seem likely. guess it'll just be part of the experience... :/

      Delete

happy to hear from ya!