September 1, 2011

old books

Despite my desperate need for some cash flow, I'm too wary of selling some of my old text books- particularly from my poetry class and ancient history class. Pretty much two of my favorite extra-curricular learning areas. I decided I might as well do something with the books other than look really smart by placing them on a bookshelf. Because smart people have those, you know. It's actually kind of strange how often I go back to reference my ancient history book. I bring that shit up whenever even remotely relevant to conversation. It's great. Anyway, I'm starting a massive wall collage for all my favorite pictures/writings- like a real-life version of my tumblr, except a bit harder to produce. I'm not very far along with additions to the wall because I don't have a printer. Gotta get on that...

But this passage is definitely my favorite from the book, which is of real ancient writings. I've never been happier to purchase a text book for a class and read it. It describes the end of the Battle of Thermopylae where the Spartans meet death (like 300 except real). Check out the quote toward the end by Dieneces about fighting in the shade. It's a true quote that also provided some great comic relief when it was used in the movie.



This haiku was taken from my poetry book. Great class, but the two-hour aspect of it- not so much. Way too long to talk about only Keats and Plath. Not to mention quite depressing. Speaking of depressing, as soon as I read this haiku, I got goosebumps. It's incredible how three little lines can make you feel. Go on, read it. Tell me how it makes you feel.



Finally, I've been meaning to attempt to draw this shot from the April 2010 issue of Interview, but just never got around to it. Someday. I'm hoping that the constant reminder of my failure to complete the drawing as it's slapped up on my wall will procure the process. Obviously this is Freja Beha Erichsen- AKA The Shit.








I'd love to get some more ideas for the wall...anybody have a favorite poem? fashion spread?




6 comments:

  1. interesting.

    if you're not already following me, you could if you want to and i'll follow you back if i'm not already following you.

    new post♥mfashionfreak

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, finding old things also remind me of those forgotten memories..nice post..

    xoxo,
    rosalinaaa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for your comment ^^
    kiss :-)

    ReplyDelete

happy to hear from ya!