June 18, 2008

That's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool

Prior to even finishing Robert Redfords movie-version of F. Scott Fitzgerald's, The Great Gatsby, I was truly enthused by the ensembles in this film. In the beginning, I figured it would just turn out to be another book turned into a failed movie film, but despite the fact that it could end up that way (I'm not really one to judge a film further than plot), I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the 20's era portrayed through the film. Now, I've seen Chicago, it's one of my favorite movies, but for some reason, Roxie Hart and Velma Kelly didn't provide the same inspiration-jolt effects regarding fashion as The Great Gatsby does. As soon as the first party scene appeared on the classroom television screen, I found myself making mental notes and paying awful close attention to what everyone was wearing. I have fallen in love with the Jazz Age and feel a tid bit disappointed that I was unfortunate enough to not be able to live through it, prior to the Great Depression and post WWI of course. The dancing shoes, fun beaded dresses, long beaded necklaces, the sequins headbands with feathers, cloches, carelessness, excitement, and style revolution that the flapper brought along for women are all of great interest to me, so much so that I haven't really paid all that much attention to the plot. I have officially decided that I will be a flapper for Halloween this year, I'll have to find some costume on my own of course though because the costumes that I have seen at Party City do not do a flapper justice.

So you can see just what I am babbling on about, I have reluctantly come across the perfect clip of The Great Gatsby on youtube.

2 comments:

  1. my schools Theatre Department put on The Great Gastpy as a play and it was a interesting show. I had to learn about the auther in my American literature class. I loved the fashion from the 1920s. We did Chicago in theatre this year. It was fun picking things out for the costumes.
    I'm going to link you.
    -kinsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like fun! I would love to be able to choose what costumes everyone ot to wear!

    ReplyDelete

happy to hear from ya!